Women Like Dead Men Best–according to evolutionary theories–and possibly, Roland Barthes.
“I call the discourse of power any discourse that engenders blame, hence guilt, in its recipient. ”
For every dead male of every skin color, there are more resources for privileged females, and the males that females choose as alpha’s. Which of course, leaves millions and millions of men dead every century due to wars that privilege seekers and privilege holders wage on the non-privileged.
In western society, for now, white females have chosen white males, and man, do those females devote a lot of time and attention to dethroning their own choices, and pushing for policies that lead to death–while overlooking their own precarious perch on that precipice of rhetoric.
I remember sitting in a university class room many years ago as the instructor–a white woman–was going on and on about how men objectify women, blacks, minorities ( you know, the usual schtick). Then, one click of her powerpoint clicker later, up comes a photo of a shirtless black man, some sports hero in some sport ( I don’t watch sports).
She looks at the class and says ” Black men are soooo hot. Ooooh. isn’t he hooooot!?”
That was kind of game-over for me–I mean, yakking about how white men this and that–and in her next breath objectifying a black man?
How sexist, and racist is that? I can only imagine that not being called on racism is a white female privilege.
The problem with having that conversation is best embodied by this statement: There are too many white women in conversations about white female privilege. And nobody can out talk, side-rail, deflate, or out manipulate a dialogue more than white women.
Here is one example of how difficult it is to discuss that privilege. ERV, a science blog ,written by molecular-biologist and blogger Abbie Smith, has so-far been part social experiment, and also been a rare outpost of free thought and anti-censorship by white femlae standards.
I weighed in at comment 199. If you have excess time ( a sign of privilege, I must warn you!) and lots of patience, this dialogue has me arguing for recognition of white female privilege–with white women.
[SPLASH!!!….the sound of a male victim of the Titanic rolling in his watery grave]
Here is a link for context in the wider discussion: http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/rebeccapocalypse/
But the irony of all these privileged discussions and those who have them is that they mostly lead to death of non-white men, women and children all around the world. Death, and the death of men, is actually the most non-discussed taboo of all body discussions; it is the ground at the pedestal of white female privilege. I will be writing more about that soon.
Just don’t tell that to those who discuss the rhetoric of the body–because most of them are white women, who are riddled with anxiety that their bodies might pale by comparison to other bodies.
Roland Barthes must be rolling in his grave right now, too, -of course, likely beneath a decent upper middle class tombstone.
- Rule Number One: Never, Ever Make the White Women Mad. (pornalysis.wordpress.com)
- Inspiring White Females to action: rationalization abjection* and separatist feminist cowardice. (pornalysis.wordpress.com)
- Why did the white, liberal, feminist professor cross the road when a woman was in his path? (pornalysis.wordpress.com)
- Is it racist to not report female perpetration of child abuse? (pornalysis.wordpress.com)
- Objectifying men (host clubs) (cherryblossomlife.com)
- Re-Membering (radicalhub.wordpress.com)
- Womb Rights, Womb Wrongs (radicalhub.wordpress.com)
- Reclaiming Our Bodies as Sexual Objects (mormonmissionaryposition.wordpress.com)
- Male/Shiva and Female/Shakti Energy, Equality, and Balance (tantrachick.wordpress.com)
- Male body found in Hudson River Friday morning (troyrecord.com)
- Susan Bordo Rhetorical Analysis (eng1020summer2011.wordpress.com)
- Why do men take crotch shots? (salon.com)
- Are Women More Sexually Aggressive Than Men (socyberty.com)
- Susan Bordo Post – WS (visualargument.wordpress.com)