Perhaps you were out navel gazing, or entertaining useless parrots in useful, constructive spaces, as the leftern front fell off the right side of a cliff, or arguing about vaginas and penises, when a Pew Poll reported that 1 of 3 veterans of the Iraq–Afghan wars thinks war is full of shit–and guts and splattered brains–and oh–that it was a waste of time as well.
WASHINGTON (AP) — One in three U.S. veterans of the post-9/11 military believes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were not worth fighting, and a majority think that after 10 years of combat America should be focusing less on foreign affairs and more on its own problems, according to an opinion survey released Wednesday.
The findings highlight a dilemma for the Obama administration and Congress as they struggle to shrink the government’s huge budget deficits and reconsider defense priorities while trying to keep public support for remaining involved in Iraq and Afghanistan for the longer term.
Nearly 4,500 U.S. troops have died in Iraq and about 1,700 in Afghanistan. Combined war costs since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have topped $1 trillion.”
In related news, Amy Goodman, an actual front-line journalist and heroine from Democracy Now, won a $100,000 settlement after being unlawfully arrested by police officers who can’t read the first amendment of the United States Constitution.
Huh? WTF is that? Your representatives of social order–‘ jus doin’ mah job perteckin’ freedum from jernilists, and there werdz.’
- Almost one third of Iraq/Afghanistan women veterans with PTSD report military sexual trauma (medicalxpress.com)
- Report: $60B waste in Afghanistan, Iraq (politico.com)
- Corporate Whistle Blower Center Urges U.S. Contractor Employees in Afghanistan and Iraq to Step Forward for Huge Rewards if They Can Prove Massive Fraud (prweb.com)
- National Coalition for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans to Convene in DC (prweb.com)
- America’s lost wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (alhittin.com)
- At War Blog: Must-Reads: Communicating Through, and About, War (atwar.blogs.nytimes.com)
- US gives away billons in assets in Iraq (thecurrencynewshound.com)
- New Poll Finds Majority of Americans Are Unaware of Issues Facing Iraq/Afghanistan Veterans and Troops (prweb.com)
- Q&A with Syrian jihadist: Minorities have nothing to fear in post-Assad Syria (csmonitor.com)
- U.S. Forces Hand Millions of Dollars of Military Equipment Over to Iraqis (foxnews.com)
- Misspent Afghan, Iraq funds total nearly $60B for U.S. (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Mullen’s Exit (online.wsj.com)
- A victory in the war against profiteering | Amy Goodman (guardian.co.uk)
- Ex-Bush Official Col. Lawrence Wilkerson: “I am Willing to Testify” If Dick Cheney is Put on Trial (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- Why ‘Occupy Wall Street’ makes sense | Amy Goodman (guardian.co.uk)
- Amnesty International Decries Assad Regime’s “Brutal” Crackdown on Syrian Protesters (syrianemergencytaskforce.org)
- Father Mychal Judge: not just another 9/11 memorial | Amy Goodman (guardian.co.uk)
- Amy Goodman, Democracy Now: “Military Deployed in the U.S.A.” (pornalysis.wordpress.com)
- American Autumn Responding to Arab Spring (stevebeckow.com)
- The Absurd Times The best discussion I’ve heard on #Libya (czardonic.wordpress.com)